Where should smoke alarms be located in the home?
New Zealand law dictates that smoke alarms must be installed:
• within 3 metres of each bedroom door, or in every room where a person sleeps
• in each level or story of a multi-story or multi-level home
• in all rental homes, boarding houses, rental caravans, and self-contained sleep-outs.
All new smoke alarms must:
• be photoelectric
• have a battery life of at least eight years, or be hard-wired
• installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions
• meet international standards.